St. Michael’s Mount, Cornwall

Tunnel ViewContained in a tunnel to bring goods up to the house.

  • Opened August 1912
  • Gauge 1372mm
  • Length 200m
  • Max. Gradient 1:1.9
  • Number of cars  1
  • Gas Engine Operation from 1912 until
  • Electric Operation from the mid 1920’s

     

     

     

     

    This funicular runs almost entirely in a tunnel under St Michaels Mount. The line starts at the quay and then passes through the tunnel under the garden and finally into the bedrock under the the buildings to the top of the hill. The railway is used to carry goods up and down to the house. It is not used for passengers.The above and other relevant photos are available at this private site:-
    http://www.hows.org.uk/personal/rail/stm.htm

Also see our other pages on Electric Transport in the South West